Senate watchers this week are anticipating upcoming action in that chamber on a joint resolution that the House passed last week disapproving of the President's February 15 emergency declaration with respect to the U.S. border with Mexico. While it is widely believed that the Senate will not act on that resolution until next week, lots of jockeying is expected to take place this week. Also this week, a Senate panel has scheduled an oversight hearing on the Department of Homeland Security's Customs and Border Protection (CBP) response to the smuggling of persons at the Southern Border.
In all, from the perspective of those interested in immigration, refugee, homeland security, or human trafficking policy, the week's schedule includes seven hearings (five in the House and two in the Senate), no business meetings, and no scheduled floor action on matters of consequence.
- House Appropriations Subcommittee Hearing on DHS Inspector General: The House Appropriations Subcommittee on Homeland Security has scheduled a hearing for this week on the Department of Homeland Security's Inspector general.
- House Judiciary Committee Hearing on DREAMers and TPS Holders: The House Committee on the Judiciary has scheduled a hearing for this week titled, "Protecting Dreamers and TPS Recipients."
- House Homeland Security Committee Oversight Hearing on DHS Operations: The House Committee on Homeland Security has scheduled an oversight hearing on the operations of the Department of Homeland Security. The hearing, titled "The Way Forward on Border Security,"
- House Appropriations Subcommittee "Members Day" Hearing: The House Appropriations Subcommittee on State, Foreign Operations, and Related Programs has scheduled a "Members Day" hearing for this week,
- Senate Judiciary Committee Hearing on Border Security: The Senate Committee on the Judiciary has scheduled an oversight hearing for this week titled, "Oversight of Customs and Border Protection’s Response to the Smuggling of Persons at the Southern Border."
- House Appropriations Subcommittee Hearing on EOIR: The House Appropriations Subcommittee on Commerce, Justice, Science, and Related Agencies has scheduled a hearing for this week on the Department of Justice's Executive Office for Immigration Review.
- Senate Foreign Relations Subcommittee Hearing on Venezuela: The Senate Foreign Relations Subcommittee on Western Hemisphere, Transnational Crime, Civilian Security, Democracy, Human Rights and Global Women's Issues has scheduled a hearing for this week titled, "Venezuela Relations and the Path to a Democratic Transition."